Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

Not really but I love a good holiday song; puts me in a great mood! When we talk about the holidays we can't avoid discussing gifts and the shopping of said gifts. This year is definitely different than Christmas' past. For one thing, the economy has really put a dent in my budget. The biggest difference is directly related to my new business venture.

The two really can go hand-in-hand. Since all of my items are handmade and I make a HUGE effort to sell locally, the majority of gifts that I've purchased are either handmade or made locally or both. Every year the family pulls names for the gift exchange since we have so many children now (7 here in Cincinnati) and my pick is my big sister, Lisa. Usually, we just give the other person a list of wants and "off we go a shopping," but I asked if I could choose her gifts and she whole-heartedly agreed. probably because she knows I have exquisite taste. : )

Here's what she's getting under the tree (don't tell her):





All made by FridaWer and shipped from Italy. How European! She has other beautiful things too and feel free to have them shipped directly to my house. Here's the link to her shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FridaWer


I custom ordered matching fingerless gloves from SWAK Shop: Couture Accessories by Amina. She's very talented and based out of Atlanta, GA. Check out her stuff at http://www.etsy.com/shop/swakdesigns

So, that's everything Lisa is getting this year...not too bad for a $100 limit. I didn't forget the children though and got some adorable things for the newest nephew, Carson. He was just born in late October and we're really hoping they make the trip from Grand Rapids to celebrate his first Christmas. My brother, Jason, and wife, Mercedes are pretty hip and organic so I found this incredible bib set made by local artist, Gillian. We arranged for local delivery yesterday which saved me shipping costs PLUS I got to meet her in person. It makes it even more special to know who's hands created a gift that I will be sharing.


Gillian has a great story, sad but great. Etsy is a really amazing collection of really amazing people so check it out and support handmade artists. www.etsy.com

Happy Holidays everyone!

2 comments:

*FridaWer* said...

Oh LauraLee :)
I'll be repetitive ... but thanks!!!
Thank you!!
But You do too much compliments!(you make me blush :) )
A big kiss from Europe,Italy,Foggia =)

FridaWer

SWAKCouture said...

LauraLee! Thanks so much for visiting my shop and I'm pleased that you like my designs. Your custom order will be shipped to you shortly! :-) I hope you love it. BTW, great picks for your sis!
Amina

Post a Comment