Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holiday Cookie Exchange



This year I was invited to a cookie exchange by Karen Lovely. If you've never participated, everyone bakes and brings a set amount of holiday cookies (we each brought 6 dozen).

Actually, I procrastinated about doing it because of lack of time but Karen, with a little gentle prodding, convinced me to come...cookies or not. The one cookie that always reminds me of baking with mom was thumbprint cookies. I'm sure everyone has their own favorite but the look, the taste and the preparation of these makes me think "holidays."

So after a quick run to the store, I made a mess of the kitchen and even got the kids to help. Okay, they only helped with the first batch then a movie beckoned them to abandon me. They turned out just like I remembered and everyone else's cookies looked fabulous as well.

It was a wonderful afternoon spent with friends, a few drinks and some yummy food. I can't wait until next year!

Thumbprint Cookies (Bird's Nest Cookies)
½ c Butter or Margarine 
¼ C dark brown sugar
1 egg yolk 
pinch of salt
1 egg white 
1 C sifted flour
½ C chopped nuts 
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugar together. Add slightly beaten egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Mix. Add flour and blend. Roll dough into small balls. Dip in slightly beaten egg white and then coat in chopped nuts. Place on greased cookie sheet. Make an indentation in the dough’s middle.

Bake at 375 degrees about 12-15 minutes. Fill depression with preserves when cool.

Yields one dozen cookies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment