Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Saveur: Savor a World of Authentic Cuisine

Among the things I enjoy the most in life is cooking and eating...who doesn't - they are not my friend. We all know that the kitchen is the heart of any home; where family and friends gather to talk and bond. Even at a party, most of the crowd is in the kitchen. It's a room that conveys warmth and nurturing especially when filled with the delicious scents of a home-cooked meal.

There are many magazines published for the food industry and I've purchased many subscriptions over the years but my absolute favorite is Saveur. Actually, I own every single copy EXCEPT for Issue 1. I will get it at some point, of that I am sure. When the newest issue arrives at the house, I can't wait to devour it cover to cover. And, trust me, not a single page is skipped not even the advertising. I love everything about this magazine!



Photography
Skillful imagery is key in a food publication and Saveur doesn't disappoint. The viewer should be able to see the quality of the food, understand the preparation and almost taste the completed dish or produce. The first thing I do when it arrives is peel off the mailing label so I can appreciate the entire cover just how the designer wants me to see it. Each and every image shows the thought process behind the concept especially the ones showing a gathering of people. It's the travel element that attracts me to the destination articles.


Short Articles
These tidbits of information are extremely well written and always interesting. They are not always about food but can cover a multitude of topics. Two of my favorites from the recent issue discuss Tupperware and smuggling.



Long Articles
Each and every article transports the reader to another place, whether it's Taipai or a ranch in Texas. You understand who the people are, the history of the foods they eat and how it strengthens family ties. Recipes are included as well as Where to Stay, Where to Eat and What to Do.


Moment
On the last page of every issue is this fascinating snapshot; some beautiful, some weird, some kind of gross. It is just that though, a snapshot into the lives of people and their food. Photograph by Martin Parr/Magnum Photos


Recipes
I've made a number of the recipes over the years and refer to back issues often especially for holidays and parties. They are easy to read and follow, include helpful hints (like where to buy certain ingredients, how to accomplish intricate details, etc.), have images so you can see how it's suppose to turn out, and teach some basics as well as interesting pairings.

Website
I've included the link to the website which just launch about a year ago. It is a great companion to the printed magazine and a wonderful source for quickly finding recipes.

Twitter
And, of course, I follow them on Twitter (@SAVEURMAG)! The tweets usually correspond to the current issue with personal banter too. They have over 16,000 followers compared to my measly 183; but then again I've been on Twitter (cailin3) less than a year and don't publish my own magazine...yet.

Just so you know, I have not been asked to rave about Saveur...just a fan. No compensation in any form has been transferred between the two parties. I just hope you check it out and enjoy the magazine as much as I do. And maybe, just maybe, they'll send me that elusive first issue...a girl can always dream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment