Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day Carrot Cake Recipe

Shane's favorite dessert is carrot cake and I have an incredible recipe...cream cheese frosting and all! If you think baking is difficult and making a cake from scratch is even more impossible, you need to try this one. It always comes out moist. I can't remember where I found the original recipe but I've been sharing it with friends and family for years.


Cake Ingredients
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt


1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 cups finely grated carrots
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup drained crushed pineapple (optional)



Note: use whole nutmeg with a micro-plain, you'll get better nutmeg flavor. Also, I highly recommend pure vanilla extract. Lower grade vanilla has a high alcohol content and therefore delivers inferior quality and flavor. It's worth the additional cost so check the label!

Here's what the batter will look like when everything has been combined. I shred the carrots with my Cuisinart and blend everything with my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. I've had both since we were married in 1996 and they really take a beating (no pun intended).


I always smack the pans on the counter to remove air bubbles. You can see the difference in these two pans (the one on the left has the bubbles removed). I think it makes for a denser cake and encourages more even cooking.


When the cakes are done cooking, remove them from the pans and place on a wire rack to cool. Do not frost any cake while it is still hot or even warm, your frosting will melt, making it difficult to frost and not look so nice either.


Icing Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 lb icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange juice
2 cups finely chopped pecans (optional)


Blend cream cheese and butter. Slowly add sugar, vanilla and juice. Ice after cake completely cools. Decorate with chopped pecans (if desired).




We celebrated Isa's 5th birthday. Lucky girl was born on Valentine's Day! I hope you make this recipe and enjoy it as much as my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What temp and how long are you supposed to cook this at?

Unknown said...

350 degrees (preheated) for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting the cake.

Post a Comment